EPISODE #02 – DR. G SPILLS THE GREEN TEA – cancer discoveries, hormone imbalance & getting back to nature
- Published on: 13 January, 2020
- Last update: 31 March, 2021
THIS WEEK ON WHAT’S THE JUICE PODCAST
I’m so excited to share this juicy interview with everyone’s favorite naturopathic doctor… the one, the only, Doctor G! I met Dr. Christian Gonzalez through Instagram of course, because mama always told me not to talk to strangers on the street. But on the Internet? I tell strangers my deepest secrets and they’ve become some of my very best friends. ?
There’s so much to cover in this episode. Thank goodness we started off with THE STRESS BIBLE as our debut (blog post here), because now you’ll be able to flow through our conversation about melatonin and cancer armed with your understanding of autophagy. Dr. G specializes in cancer prevention and in this episode he talks to us about how low doses of melatonin may help us get to sleep… but HIGH doses (20mg+) are what he gives to his breast cancer patients. High doses may help turn the immune response back up in his patients to where their immune systems can now recognize/see (and thus, fight) abnormal cells.
Dr. G stresses that NOW is the time to care about your hormones, no matter how young you are. Women in their 20s need to pay close attention to what exactly is disrupting their hormones early-on, because it’s never too early. We all need lifestyle interventions and they can be as simple as ditching plastic, incorporating specific foods at dinner time, and going for a daily walk. If you are a young woman with signs of estrogen dominance it’s important to address it now.
We also get really juicy when talking about nutrition, and he even explains why cheese is so addictive. There’s a lot of hidden interest when it comes to the food we’re encouraged to eat by the powers that be, and his goal is to expose that through all the work he’s doing. We’re talking about some heavy topics in this episode, but we still tried to keep it light with our Leo banter!
So, What’s the Juice?
• Breast, Ovarian, and Prostate cancer are predominantly hormone-driven cancers. This means we need to be vigilant about all the hormone disruptors that we are exposed to on a daily basis through food, environment, pharmaceuticals, and stress. Filtering your tap water and drinking out of a reusable bottle is an excellent first step.
• Childhood cancer seems to be on the rise today and this could be due to pollution in our environment that wasn’t present 100 or even 50 years ago (studies are finding that we can be affected by the toxins that our grandparents, and even great-grandparents, were exposed to).
• Dioxin is one of the most dangerous chemicals we know of and it’s found in conventional (non-organic) bleached tampons and paper coffee cups. It has been linked to endometriosis and this is why it’s so important to choose your feminine care products wisely. Luckily, so many wonderful companies are creating safe alternatives like organic, unbleached tampons.
• Plastic acts as a “xenoestrogen” (‘false’ estrogen) which means that components found within plastic (even BPA-free) bind to our estrogen receptors and can exacerbate estrogen dominance. Dr. G says that even so, dairy is 100x worse for your hormones than BPA.
• Dairy is addictive and part of this is because it speaks to our emotional body as well via a bonding mechanism. If you have hormonal issues and you’re still consuming dairy, try cutting it out as your first intervention.
• Heavy metals can disrupt your hormones as well by acting as xenoestrogens or “metalloestrogens.” Lead in the tap water can also mimic estrogen and exacerbate an imbalance. A water filter such as a Berkey filter can be an excellent investment when you’re just starting out on a health journey and want something that will impact your entire household.
• A night-time insulin release (a late night sugar rush) can be carcinogenic to the body because it is going against our own natural rhythms. This blunts your melatonin release (you need this to be highest around 11-12 at night). Insulin that spikes too late in the evening can also create a cortisol spike and disrupt our sleep hygiene and autophagy.
A Green Tea Movement:
P53 is our innate tumor suppressor gene. In healthy individuals, it’s responsible for the programmed cell death of cancer cells called apoptosis. When mutated, it becomes inactivated which contributes to unregulated tumor growth. Cancer itself knows how to turn the gene off so that it can continue to grow. Then cancer cells become “immortal” per say, because nothing is programmed to kill them. It’s a self-serving cycle!
What’s really exciting is that this gene (P53) which protects cells from becoming cancerous, can be highly activated by many natural substances!
HERBS, FOODS AND NUTRACEUTICALS THAT TURN P53 BACK ON:
Turmeric (must be high curcumin percentage)
Melatonin (20mg peak cancer dose)
Garlic (load up your food)
Skullcap (tea or tincture)
EGCG from green tea
Resveratrol (supplement OR grapes, blueberries, cranberries, red wine, dark chocolate)
Vitamin D + Vitamin C
Selenium + Zinc
Sulforaphane (from broccoli/broccoli sprouts)
Ginger (contains 6-Gingerol)
Phenethyl isothiocyanate (from cruciferous vegetables)
Proanthocyanidins (from berries, beans and wine)
Carotenoids (from peas, cabbage, tomato, orange, carrots, pumpkin and spinach)
Terpenoids (from citrus, cherries, grapes)
On the other hand, processed foods, refined flours, and excess sugar will impair P53. Smokey flavoring and smoked foods can also damage DNA. Chemicals such as benzene and perchloroethylene, two volatile organic compounds, negatively affect p53, possibly causing them to stimulate rather than suppress cell proliferation.
Green tea also turns off VEGF (Vascular endothelial growth factor) which is the signal that stimulates the formation of blood vessels that “feed” cancer growth with blood. The best way to turn off that VEGF signal and help cut off the blood supply to cancer is to consume a therapeutic dose of 5-10 cups of green tea per day.
WHERE TO FIND DR. G:
HEAL THY SELF PODCAST: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/heal-thy-self/id1455361893
Links Mentioned in the Show:
- Water Filter: Berkey Filters
- Dr. G’s Post on Protein Powders
- Dr. Brighten’s Book (must-read): Beyond the Pill
- The Toxins That Affected Your Great-Grandparents Could Be In Your Genes: read article
- You are what your grandmother ate (Intergenerational impacts of prenatal nourishment): via Science Daily
- Casomorphins in dairy: study