DIY Acne-Fighting Cider Vinegar Facial Toner
October 5, 2015
#OOMorningMotivation: Be Open to it Being Way Better Than You Imagined!
October 9, 2015

The Easiest Way to Lose Weight: My Cinnamon Weight Loss Elixir (that actually works!)

Hey lovely people – I hope you are doing well! I have an awesome treat for you today with this elixir. Not only does it actually help you lose weight, it honestly tastes delicious. I had one for the first time in years this morning and it brought back so many memories from high school, when I first came up with it.

Here’s what happened:

In high school, I first began my journey of learning about nutrition (you can read more about my very long story here, haha). I was desperate to lose weight after years of yo-yoing and disordered eating habits – my relationship with food was emotional and difficult to say the least! I had just taken some diet pills that a friend gave me and they completely messed with my mood/metabolism/etc., so I decided I would stop ruining my body and research how to eat for health instead of weight.

Along the way, I learned so much about my favorite organ, the liver, and how a depleted, overworked, or toxic liver could cause your body to release stress hormones and hold onto extra weight. I decided that instead of focusing on losing pounds, I’d focus on losing toxins – and thus, this drink was born!

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 2.31.03 PM

I started reading about how honey is this magical food that our livers absolutely love, especially at night time. Honey has been considered sacred and medicinal by almost all traditional cultures. Ayurvedic Medicine states that if one suffers with fungus, rash, or itch; or if they have a hard time falling asleep at night, they can take a teaspoon of pure honey just before they go to sleep. They will sleep soundly (because the liver is happy – remember the β€œliver time” on the Body Clock is from 1-3 AM), and in due time they will become free from rashes.

And so, that’s what I did! As much as I hated the taste of honey, I took a whole teaspoon religiously every single night. I slept better, my skin, looked better, and the weight slowly but surely began to budge.

I thought to myself, OK – the honey is clearly speeding up my metabolism and helping my body use energy more efficiently. How can I take this a step further and incorporate it into my morning routine so that my liver and metabolism are fueled in the daytime, too?

This is where the cinnamon comes in.

I found out that cinnamon has a regulatory effect on blood sugar levels, and simultaneously increases insulin levels in the body. It imitates the biological activity of insulin and increases the metabolism of glucose. Since high blood sugar levels can lead to increased storage of fat by the body, cinnamon helps prevent this increased storage of fat and enables you to lose weight.

e510d5c20b2bed42648b6790ac3227caIn addition, it influences the manner in which sugar is metabolized by the body and prevents the transformation of the metabolized sugar into fat. Studies show that abdominal fat is more sensitive to the effects of cinnamon than fat from other parts of the body.

I also read that cinnamon helps prevent the spread of cancer cells, halts the formation of stomach ulcers, and assists in curing bacterial infections. Woah – something that was good for my long term health, reduced my cancer risk, AND got rid of belly fat? Was I dreaming?! I was sold!

The Cinnamon Study

The active compound in cinnamon, which also gives it its flavor, is called cinnamaldehyde. In a Japanese study published in the Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology in 2012, two groups of mice were fed a diet high in sucrose and fat.

One group was given cinnamaldehyde daily, and the other was not.

After a month, the scientists found that the mice taking cinnamaldehyde had lost visceral fat (which is the stubborn fat we accumulate on the belly), whereas the control group didn’t. They concluded that the cinnamaldehyde stimulated the metabolism of the fatty visceral tissue.

After learning all of that, I decided to mix my newly beloved cinnamon with honey, lemon, and hot water first thing in the mornings. And let me tell you – it WORKED! The weight melted off of me faster than ever.

I’m not even exaggerating – my transformation was so incredible that the office receptionists and teachers at my school started asking me for my secrets!

I wrote them a booklet called “Olivia’s Guide to Healthy Weight Loss” that was quickly photocopied and circulated around the school. This recipe was smack dab on page one. (Who knew that in a few years I’d be writing a whole blog about health? It’s crazy how the world works!)

1434479304470Recipe:

* 8 oz. hot (not boiling) water – I use this simple water heater to get it the perfect tea-like temperature.

* 1 heaping tsp. organic cinnamon

* 2 tsp. organic honey – I use the Manuka variety from New Zealand which contains live active compounds that remove unwanted pathogens in the intestines.

* juice of 1 lemon1434479304470

Pour the hot water into a cup containing the 1 tsp. ground cinnamon. Let it steep for a few minutes so that the water cools down to a comfortable warm temperature. (This is important so that we don’t denature the honey!) Add the honey + squeeze in the lemon, and VOILA – you’re done.

When to drink: I drink one large glass as soon as I wake up, 20-30 minutes before breakfast. You can also have one glass 30 minutes before lunch.

I hope you enjoy, and don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter to stay updated on all my tips and goodies. You guys rock!Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 5.40.55 PM

Affiliate Disclosure

1. Megan says:

I don’t eat honey because I’m vegan. Are there any other foods that have similar benefits on the liver?

• Organic Olivia says:

Blackstrap molasses is very mineral rich – although it doesn’t taste as good, it could be an interesting substitute for this drink πŸ™‚

2. Dallas says:

Hi Organic Olivia,

I’m overweight and I really want to try this elixir! What is the best time to take this? at night or in the morning, after or before lunch? Also can I use sourwoood honey and just regular cinnamon? I will purchase the NZ honey down the road. I hope you reply to my questions. Thanks and have a wonderful blissful day! Dallas D. Murphy, NC

• Organic Olivia says:

Hey Dallas! I take this elixir 30 minutes before my meals (breakfast and lunch). You can use regular raw honey and cinnamon – try it out and see if your body responds well and if you see any progress. The NZ honey brings a whole new ball game of benefits but when I first started drinking this I used regular old organic raw honey πŸ™‚

3. Abraham Manzo says:

What about raw honey??

4. Daisy says:

How long would one have to consume this before starting to see results? I’m normally very low-sugar (of any kind, natural or not) and it makes me nervous that this addition of honey will make me gain rather than lose. Also, when you shared your booklet at school, did others have the same weight loss success by drinking your concoction? πŸ™‚ I have a very, very slow metabolism with stubborn belly and thigh fat. Despite eating organic, dairy-free, minimal grains (and I’ve gone completely grain free in the past), and lots of vegetables, my weight and body composition looks like I indulge in Starbucks and french fries. (Sigh) I’ve done an intense yoga regimen that left me strong, but no thinner. I’m active, drink water, etc, but still unable to lose that extra fat that has crept on over the years. I want to give this a try! Here’s hoping it’ll help…

• Sienna says:

Hey Daisy! Your story is very similar to mine. My diet is the best its been all my life (low sugar, dairy free, gluten free etc.) and yet I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been. Really considering that it is a gut or hormonal imbalance now after 2 years of eating well and exercising and yet I’m gaining weight still. Very annoying!! Have you given the elixir a go yet? If so, any success? I think I’m going to give it a try for 2-3 weeks and then evaluate from there.

5. Aicha says:

This sounds great! I, myself, have problems with being overweight and I’m currently on day 5 on a Low Carb High Fat diet and I’m also in high school.
    I have two questions though, while you were in high school and drinking this drink, what type of foods were you eating? Also, what would you advise me to do? Would you recommend that I try this, if yes, what would you advise me to eat on a daily basis? Cause honey has a lot of carbs, and in a Low Carb High Fat diet, honey has too many carbs to take in and eat.
    I really want this to last long and not just for it to be a temporary weight loss. I really hope you answer cause I’m desperate for help, I’m 16 and being overweight has made me feel so insecure about myself…I feel bad every time I look myself in the mirror and I just want to feel happy with my body, so I would appreciate it so much if you could help me out! Thank you!

6. Emma says:

Hi Olivia! I really love you blog, you do a great job at informing and sharing your findings! I really enjoy your blog posts and instagrams (where I found you initially! πŸ™‚ )
    I was curious if you could recommend a vegan alternative to the honey? What properties does it bring to the drink, and could I mimic it with a different natural sweetener?
    Thanks in advance!

• Organic Olivia says:

Hey Emma! Thank you SO much for your kindness! The honey brings sweetness to tonify the “spleen” (AKA digestive process in terms of Chinese Medicine lingo). It also of course contains a ton of minerals, vitamins, enzymes, etc. I bet blackstrap molasses would be the perfect vegan alternative πŸ™‚

7. Maria says:

Hi Olivia
    I am in need of your help. First of all I’d like to thank you for everything you do! I admire you as a woman and a as great human being… Your advices have helped me a lot in SO many ways:) , but now I am facing another issue…. It’s regarding the flu vaccine. I am not a believer of it but my job requires me to get it or I would lose my job. I don’t know how you feel about the flu vaccine because I have not seen any info on your web site. My question is, when I do get it, I would like to some how do a really good detox and I was wondering if you could help me with that? I am not alergic to the things in the vaccine and my religion unfortunately approves the vaccine so my only hope is you. Please any info would be a greatly appreciated.
    Your friend,
    Maria

8. Valerie says:

I can’t wait to try this!! Question. I am currently doing the parasite cleanse. Can I still drink this? Or should I wait till I finish up the cleanse?!

Thanks πŸ™‚

• Organic Olivia says:

Hey Valerie! πŸ™‚ You can totally drink this during the parasite cleanse. Cinnamon is a great candida and parasite killer. I think that would be a great idea! xx

9. Lauren says:

Thanks for this recipe! I’ve tried a few mornings now and it tastes great, but the consistency is just a little slimy. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? Thanks πŸ™‚

• Organic Olivia says:

I found the same sliminess factor when I was using cassia cinnamon. It totally depends on the variety of cinnamon. I switched to Vietnamese cinnamon and now I no longer have the problem.

10. Jill says:

Hi I have been using your recipe for about a month, someone mentioned that certain types of cinnamon are not safe to use daily. I’ve been reading about cassisa cinnamon and wonder what your opinion is.

11. Tiayana says:

My question is :
    I use organic honey – im not sure if this is the same as ” RAW” honey.
    It is all organic and it is nore solid looking then liquidy ha ha.

Also – how long until you started seeing results?

THANKS OLIVA!

12. Gabriela says:

I Love the idea. I want to try this soon! You are awesome for responding to everyone! Thank you for all the knowledge you share!!! Gotta google/amazon that Vietnamese Cinnamon, never heard of it. Do you have any recommendations for natural energy? I’m wanting to give up coffee? Currently having Pomegranate White Tea.

Thanks Gorgeous! Xoxo

• Organic Olivia says:

Let me know how it goes! You’re very welcome. I like the herb “rhodiola” for natural energy and a boost in mood πŸ™‚ xx

13. irene says:

Would like more info thanks

14. Elsi says:

Cinnamon from the Cinnamomum zylanicum, is that safe? That is the one I have now.