Let me start this post by stating: CLEAR SKIN comes from the INSIDE. You can buy the most expensive cream (which you’ll soon find out doesn’t work) but unless you change your DIET, your WATER INTAKE, and cleanse your ORGANS you will not see a drastic change! Your skin is an organ after all, and the health of your liver in particular is expressed through the skin. I am knee deep into this health journey and my body/skin is still not perfectly cleansed (or anywhere close) – I have a lot more detoxing to do after years of eating junk and using harsh chemicals on my face and body. I am wearing makeup in the picture above but it is a “mineral” makeup veil to even my skin tone; as you can see I don’t have any big acne bumps or whiteheads at the moment! I used to get full on cysts throughout my entire face.
The above chart is an excellent example of just how close the tie is between our organ/inner health and our skin. Our faces are a true reflection of what’s happening in the body. I use this chart every single time I get a break out so that I can treat what’s going wrong inside. I got really into these charts when I started researching Traditional Chinese Medicine and used Chinese herbs to heal my liver during Epstein Barr Virus.
At the moment, I have a few pimples in my ear (strangely enough). According to traditional Chinese medicine, the ear can reveal many health conditions, and correspond to the kidneys in particular. When kidneys are not taken care of, you’ll get large, painful pimples on your ears that refuses to go away. Kidney troubles are often caused by not drinking enough water and taking in too much salt, sugar and caffeine. Well, guess what?! I haven’t been drinking NEARLY enough water and I have been using too much salt. Paying attention to your body can help to keep habits like these in check!
SO! You’re probably wondering WHY HAVEN’T YOU WASHED YOUR FACE WITH SOAP?! HAVE YOU GONE OFF THE DEEP END?! ARE YOU A HIPPIE?! Well….. yes to those questions. But I’m not totally crazy. Many people do it, and it’s called the oil cleansing method.
Excerpt from theoilcleansingmethod.com – “The reasons we have so much trouble with mainstream skin care products are numerous, but two reasons, in particular, lead the pack. These products strip the oil out of our skin, leaving our largest organ trying to repair itself by replacing the oil stripped away. This leaves us in a cycle of being tight and dry followed by the inevitable oil slick. Each time we strip the oil away, our skin over-compensates for the lack of moisture by creating more oil.
The basic concept of this skin care and cleansing method is that the oil used to massage your skin will dissolve the oil that has hardened with impurities and found itself stuck in your pores. The steam will open your pores, allowing the oil to be easily removed. Should you need it, the smallest drop of the same oil formula patted over damp skin will provide the necessary lubrication to keep your skin from over-compensating in oil production.”
Companies make all of these “acne washes” and “acne creams” and acne this acne that. NONE of that will work. I’ve had professionals tell me countless times that those products will make your skin feel nice for the time being, but ALWAYS contain ALCOHOL to keep the customer coming back!! Eventually, they all dry out your skin to keep you hooked!
Now, the original oil cleansing method calls for you to make your own blend of oils. You use castor oil and a carrier oil such as cold-pressed olive oil. I have done this and have loved it, but recently I switched oils. As you may or may not know, I am in love with alternative medicine and avidly read the forums at CureZone.com! I did a parasite cleanse, so for a while I was obsessed with researching peoples’ parasite experiences. I found one forum where a girl connected her facial acne to a tiny skin parasite called demodex mites (DM) and used an Indian oil to kill the mites.
I’ll try anything once, so I gave it a go. The oil she’s talking about is the red one below with no English on it. I got it from Amazon for $6, figuring I had nothing to lose. I didn’t know what was in the oil because I couldn’t read it, but I found out it contains natural ayurvedic herbs:
Sesame oil, Menthol, Amla, Camphor, Thyme, Rosemary Oil. It is actually a hair growth oil and stimulates your scalp! I use it as a deep conditioning treatment. It also stops pain immediately and should be used in a scalp massage for a headache, or in a back massage for a backache.
So that middle red oil is what I’ve been washing my face with for the past couple of months and my acne is 10x better. I don’t break out in cysts anymore. I get some whiteheads but that’s because my internal body isn’t working at 100% yet. Seriously, this stuff has changed my skin. Here’s what you do:
I use the coconut oil as a makeup remover. DO NOT USE DRUG STORE MAKEUP REMOVERS. Do not use ANYTHING other than coconut oil to take your makeup off. The drug store stuff is full of petroleum and toxins.
The two small oils on the right are what I moisturize with. I rotate them because I haven’t decided which is best yet. The small “NUDE” purple bottle is a sample I got from Sephora that contains argan oil and a whole blend of essential oils. The Lavender & Basil is an acne-targeted oil mix I got on Etsy. Here are the ingredients:
So there it is! I wash my face with oil and I put MORE oil on it right after. And I used to have super oily skin. Now it’s completely normal and my acne has decreased 90%. Every day Nick tells me what a difference he sees. The principle is this: we learned in chemistry that LIKE dissolves LIKE. Things that are similar will dissolve each other. Using oil to wash your face will dissolve the existing oil that is stuck in your pores clogging them up.
More Tips For Clear Skin
1. Probiotics. THERE IS NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT THAN TAKING PROBIOTICS. NOTHING! Please read my post on probiotics. You cannot properly function without perfect gut flora. Probiotics in your body will fight the bacterial overgrowths that lead to pimples (which are really just toxins trying to get out!)
2. Supplements. I’m no advocate of using supplements to cure everything but our bodies are pretty damaged from the environmental toxins and the crap in our food. We need a little assistance. For me, a lot of my acne is hormonal. I take borage oil and thyroid herbs to balance my hormones. Since I’ve taken borage oil, my hormonal cysts are far and few.
3. STOP STRESSING! Stress will cause a systemic inflammation reaction in your body and will without a doubt show in your skin. Stress affects every organ – think about that chart!
4. Stop eating GMOs. I can’t say this enough. GMOs are destroying your body and vital organs. See my post on how to eat non-gmo on a budget.
5. Stop using anything on your skin that isn’t natural. Liquid foundations are soooooo overwhelming to your delicate face. If you wear makeup, choose a mineral formula that has minimal ingredients. Don’t wear makeup every day, you need to let your skin breathe. And don’t use drying face wash or “moisturizers” – like I said, all you need is oil!
6. Drink water! Nothing will clean your body like water will! If you don’t drink enough your skin will break out because all of the toxins will be stagnant in your body instead of flowing. Drink a GALLON or more a day. I drink distilled water only, the purest water in the world. All of nature’s waters are distilled – snow, rain, dew, fog, condensation, steam, breast milk, urine, and ALL waters/juices inside of fruits and vegetables. 24 Doctors with the courage to tell the truth about Distilled Water
7. EXFOLIATE! Sea salt + Oil = Love. Do the same exact method as my oil cleansing method, but add salt when you rub the oil in. This can be done 1-2 times a week.Affiliate Disclosure