Valentine’s Day Is Coming… Chocolate Ganache Truffles!
February 7, 2014
Homestyle Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies That Don’t Taste Like Cardboard (The Real Deal!)
February 9, 2014

Why I Haven’t Washed My Face With Soap In Months (Oil-Cleansing Method) + Skin Care Tips!

face-wash1

Let me start this post by stating: CLEAR SKIN comes from the INSIDE. You can buy the most expensive cream (which you’ll soon find out doesn’t work) but unless you change your DIET, your WATER INTAKE, and cleanse your ORGANS you will not see a drastic change! Your skin is an organ after all, and the health of your liver in particular is expressed through the skin. I am knee deep into this health journey and my body/skin is still not perfectly cleansed (or anywhere close) – I have a lot more detoxing to do after years of eating junk and using harsh chemicals on my face and body. I am wearing makeup in the picture above but it is a “mineral” makeup veil to even my skin tone; as you can see I don’t have any big acne bumps or whiteheads at the moment! I used to get full on cysts throughout my entire face.

source: vivawoman.net

The above chart is an excellent example of just how close the tie is between our organ/inner health and our skin. Our faces are a true reflection of what’s happening in the body. I use this chart every single time I get a break out so that I can treat what’s going wrong inside. I got really into these charts when I started researching Traditional Chinese Medicine and used Chinese herbs to heal my liver during Epstein Barr Virus.

At the moment, I have a few pimples in my ear (strangely enough). According to traditional Chinese medicine, the ear can reveal many health conditions, and correspond to the kidneys in particular. When kidneys are not taken care of, you’ll get large, painful pimples on your ears that refuses to go away. Kidney troubles are often caused by not drinking enough water and taking in too much salt, sugar and caffeine. Well, guess what?! I haven’t been drinking NEARLY enough water and I have been using too much salt. Paying attention to your body can help to keep habits like these in check!

SO! You’re probably wondering WHY HAVEN’T YOU WASHED YOUR FACE WITH SOAP?! HAVE YOU GONE OFF THE DEEP END?! ARE YOU A HIPPIE?! Well….. yes to those questions. But I’m not totally crazy. Many people do it, and it’s called the oil cleansing method.

Excerpt from theoilcleansingmethod.com – “The reasons we have so much trouble with mainstream skin care products are numerous, but two reasons, in particular, lead the pack. These products strip the oil out of our skin, leaving our largest organ trying to repair itself by replacing the oil stripped away. This leaves us in a cycle of being tight and dry followed by the inevitable oil slick. Each time we strip the oil away, our skin over-compensates for the lack of moisture by creating more oil.

The basic concept of this skin care and cleansing method is that the oil used to massage your skin will dissolve the oil that has hardened with impurities and found itself stuck in your pores. The steam will open your pores, allowing the oil to be easily removed. Should you need it, the smallest drop of the same oil formula patted over damp skin will provide the necessary lubrication to keep your skin from over-compensating in oil production.”

Companies make all of these “acne washes” and “acne creams” and acne this acne that. NONE of that will work. I’ve had professionals tell me countless times that those products will make your skin feel nice for the time being, but ALWAYS contain ALCOHOL to keep the customer coming back!! Eventually, they all dry out your skin to keep you hooked!

Now, the original oil cleansing method calls for you to make your own blend of oils. You use castor oil and a carrier oil such as cold-pressed olive oil. I have done this and have loved it, but recently I switched oils. As you may or may not know, I am in love with alternative medicine and avidly read the forums at CureZone.com! I did a parasite cleanse, so for a while I was obsessed with researching peoples’ parasite experiences. I found one forum where a girl connected her facial acne to a tiny skin parasite called demodex mites (DM) and used an Indian oil to kill the mites.

I’ll try anything once, so I gave it a go. The oil she’s talking about is the red one below with no English on it. I got it from Amazon for $6, figuring I had nothing to lose. I didn’t know what was in the oil because I couldn’t read it, but I found out it contains natural ayurvedic herbs:
Sesame oil, Menthol, Amla, Camphor, Thyme, Rosemary Oil. It is actually a hair growth oil and stimulates your scalp! I use it as a deep conditioning treatment. It also stops pain immediately and should be used in a scalp massage for a headache, or in a back massage for a backache.

So that middle red oil is what I’ve been washing my face with for the past couple of months and my acne is 10x better. I don’t break out in cysts anymore. I get some whiteheads but that’s because my internal body isn’t working at 100% yet. Seriously, this stuff has changed my skin. Here’s what you do:

1. Put a hot, steamy washcloth over your face to open your pours.
  2. Take some oil (a little goes a long way) and rub it in a clockwise motion all over your skin. Get in there. Break up whiteheads hiding under the skin. Massage THOROUGHLY!
  3. Once again, put a steamy washcloth over the face to let the oil sink in. Do this a couple of times to make sure everything is really into your pours.
  4. Gently wash your face with the washcloth to get any excess oil off your skin.

I use the coconut oil as a makeup remover. DO NOT USE DRUG STORE MAKEUP REMOVERS. Do not use ANYTHING other than coconut oil to take your makeup off. The drug store stuff is full of petroleum and toxins.

The two small oils on the right are what I moisturize with. I rotate them because I haven’t decided which is best yet. The small “NUDE” purple bottle is a sample I got from Sephora that contains argan oil and a whole blend of essential oils. The Lavender & Basil is an acne-targeted oil mix I got on Etsy. Here are the ingredients:

So there it is! I wash my face with oil and I put MORE oil on it right after. And I used to have super oily skin. Now it’s completely normal and my acne has decreased 90%. Every day Nick tells me what a difference he sees. The principle is this: we learned in chemistry that LIKE dissolves LIKE. Things that are similar will dissolve each other. Using oil to wash your face will dissolve the existing oil that is stuck in your pores clogging them up.

More Tips For Clear Skin

1. Probiotics. THERE IS NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT THAN TAKING PROBIOTICS. NOTHING! Please read my post on probiotics. You cannot properly function without perfect gut flora. Probiotics in your body will fight the bacterial overgrowths that lead to pimples (which are really just toxins trying to get out!)

2. Supplements. I’m no advocate of using supplements to cure everything but our bodies are pretty damaged from the environmental toxins and the crap in our food. We need a little assistance. For me, a lot of my acne is hormonal. I take borage oil and thyroid herbs to balance my hormones. Since I’ve taken borage oil, my hormonal cysts are far and few.

3. STOP STRESSING! Stress will cause a systemic inflammation reaction in your body and will without a doubt show in your skin. Stress affects every organ – think about that chart!

4. Stop eating GMOs. I can’t say this enough. GMOs are destroying your body and vital organs. See my post on how to eat non-gmo on a budget.

5. Stop using anything on your skin that isn’t natural. Liquid foundations are soooooo overwhelming to your delicate face. If you wear makeup, choose a mineral formula that has minimal ingredients. Don’t wear makeup every day, you need to let your skin breathe. And don’t use drying face wash or “moisturizers” – like I said, all you need is oil!

6. Drink water! Nothing will clean your body like water will! If you don’t drink enough your skin will break out because all of the toxins will be stagnant in your body instead of flowing. Drink a GALLON or more a day. I drink distilled water only, the purest water in the world. All of nature’s waters are distilled – snow, rain, dew, fog, condensation, steam, breast milk, urine, and ALL waters/juices inside of fruits and vegetables. 24 Doctors with the courage to tell the truth about Distilled Water

7. EXFOLIATE! Sea saltΒ + Oil = Love. Do the same exact method as my oil cleansing method, but add salt when you rub the oil in. This can be done 1-2 times a week.

Affiliate Disclosure

1. Anonymous says:

Such a great post! I've been looking into this type of skincare for a while & I'm definitely going to give it a go thanks to you making it sound so simple. When you say you use coconut oil to remove your makeup, do you mean apply the hot cloth, then massage in coconut oil then repeat hit cloth & coconut oil ice more, then massage in final oil? Thanks, Paula

• Olivia A. says:

Hi Paula!<br />Thanks for the comment, I&#39;m so glad you liked this post! I put some coconut oil on my fingers and just massage my eyelashes and eyes until I no longer feel mascara making them stiff. Wipe with a damp washcloth and rub some more in if you have any left over residue πŸ™‚ Then you can begin your facial oil throughout your entire face once your makeup is off and use the hot cloth I

2. This comment has been removed by the author.

3. Hello olivia and thanks for sharing all this information with us it is very resourceful. I happened to relate to your story on hormonal acne. I developed this condition (if it can be consider that) on the summer of 2012 and ever since then my skin has not been the same. My question would be the following, how can i incorporate this skin cleanse routine in my routine? Reason of my question is

4. Great post! I LOVE oil cleansing. It took me awhile to make a &#39;mix&#39; that worked for me as I have super sensitive skin. I can&#39;t wait to check out the oil from India – thanks for the info!! One thing that I really liked about this post was the chart near the top. I have digestive issues, so even after changing my diet for the better, my forehead still broke out. I have since discovered

5. John Roony says:

Hi every body,<br />I used to have big problems with washing my face, but am getting in better shape now. Here&#39;s a good site I found that really helped. It gave me great workouts and useful information tips and showed me what I was doing wrong before…there&#39;s even lots of free articles on the site…http://ernolaszloseamudsoapreview.blogspot.com/

6. Anonymous says:

Hi Olivia, I was curious if you had any experience/tips/info on acne on the body, back, chest.<br /><br />Can these methods be applied to that too?<br /><br /><br />Love your blog!!<br />Thank you &lt;3 &lt;3

7. sirian queen says:

Hi olivia . I used to have terribly oily /acne prone skin till i switched to natural things to heal my skin such as aloe vera plant&amp; tea tree oil .aloe vera plant is seriously amazing at healing your skin ! And tea tree oil at destroying existing acne! I stopped using drug store moisturizers and made my own with olive oil,castor oil&amp; almond oil and recently i added rosehip oil to my

8. Anonymous says:

Hi! Did you ever decide whether you preferred the oil moisturizer from sephora or etsy better?

9. Ali P. says:

Hi Olivia. I&#39;m going to try this method….just wondering which oil you decided you liked best? Or maybe what you&#39;re using now? Thanks!

10. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed. hormone replacement<br /><a href="http://healthcareproductguide.com/acne-no-more-review/&quot; rel="nofollow">Jennt Hunt</a><br />

11. Anonymous says:

Hey Olivia! i see you drink distilled water. Try out Alkaline water! the benefits are endless… check it out! πŸ™‚

12. Olivia! <br /><br />This is so informative! I can&#39;t thank you enough! I am a health nut on a journey to fighting my cystic acne, it has gotten a lot better since the flare ups really began 2 years ago, I have always eaten healthy and maintained my exercise routine, but just recently I stopped eating meat all together. I rarely drink and am trying to get my protein from plant based sources as

13. Anonymous says:

hey olivia ! did you use the indian oil for your face ? I&#39;m considering in purchasing that oil but not sure if I should try the olive oil first.

14. Anonymous says:

Hi Olivia, did u use the Himani Navratna Oil for face cleansing? i thought it for only scalp and body only. Can u share how u use Himani Navratna Oil as conditioner?

15. Nicole H says:

what do you use to &quot;shampoo&quot; and condition?

16. Anonymous says:

As a twenty-something with occasional breakouts and a preference for all natural beauty products, I highly recommend Citrus Clear. My combination skin — dry on my cheeks and chin and oily in my T-zone — usually forces me to switch between moisturizing and acne-drying wash every couple of weeks. With Citrus Clear, I use their Sensitive Face Wash and its all I need – JUST ONE PRODUCT! It gives

17. clod says:

Hi Olivia! I&#39;m from Argentina so it&#39;s difficult to found that specific oils. What do you think about Onagra oil instead Borage oil for hormonal problems? and which others oils and supplements I can replace?

18. Hi Olivia! I have Indian blood and am familiar with the Indian oil you recommended (it&#39;s called Navratna Oil). I have used it on my hair but never considered it for cleaning my face. Problem with me is my hair grows fast, and I&#39;m scared if I use oil to clean my face, I&#39;ll have facial hair all over (yikes!). Anyways, your method makes sense and is quite simple. I might try it sometime

19. love reading yours blogs and enjoying following you on instagram. just a quick question I have very oily skin anyway, will cleaning my face with oil make it more oily?

20. Olivia my boyfriend breaks out a lot but it SEEMS to be under grown hairs from shaving, would something else be needed.

21. nhughes says:

Hi Olivia,<br /><br />I&#39;ve been interested in this but I&#39;ve heard that steaming your face could lead to broken capillaries and enlarged pores. Wouldn&#39;t applying the washcloth to your face technically be considered steaming?

22. kim says:

I am not sure about anyone else here but why don’t you post a pic of your natural self. You said that we shouldn’t use liquid foundation and only minerals but your picture is either photoshop or your have makeup on and clearly on your body as well! You do have good info but that indian oil is def not for the face and the ingredients are not necessarily safe either. Coconut oil is good for your face even as a moisturizer. I have gone organic with my routine but there are all forms of demodex and organic will not get rid of all especially if it is a super bug! Some are immune! I have had to use chemicals just to get rid of these guys so if you happen to have demodex then please boost your immune system, not every product will work for everyone as everyone has diff skin and chemical makeup inside and out. I have a LARGE list of products I have been through in getting rid of this and it is also a mixture of demodex and something else we got from exposure to a diseased bird! EVEN dust mites included or invisible mites I shall say. I was an avid user of coconut oil, EVOO, and oils for natural remedies for the face but to get rid of these, I turned to aveeno clear complexion moisturizer and it works! Salicylic acid works and sulfer but you need to be careful of these ingredients especially ifyou are sensitive. Neem oil, clove oil, plethora of EO’s to help with this. If you have encountered what I have and have been in a terrible state for months then start doing borax baths and soak for half hr to an hr daily depending on infestation. 1 cup of borax, 1 cup peroxide, 1 cup of epsom salt, a splash of bleach, and add essential oils. I mixed it up daily with the salt and bleach because I didn’t want to use it too much. I also added diff oils each time or sometimes none. It feels neverending and that you won’t be cured but over time it works…took me over 2 months of soaking 1-2 times a day. Clearly my situation is alot diff from the normal demodex but there is also demodex brevis and many other kinds!

23. kim says:

To add to what I said I use a washcloth 1-2 times a day to wash my face with just normal water but I run it under the hottest setting before ringing it out and pressing it to my face. I don’t use face wash but if I happen to have makeup (any kind and type) I use DHC cleansing oil and oil my face then wash it off then I use the face rag. My pores are so small with this method and with the aveeno I have been using. My face and cell turnover is so much better and even and the complexion too! I am so happy and will continue with the aveeno as long as they don’t change the ingredients!!! My face is sensitive and it doesn’t burn to apply it! Also 1-2 times a week apply egg white on your face and eyes (on bare skin) then wash it off or leave it on.

24. Desara says:

I’ve seen amazing results with the indian oil and castor oil routine and then i moisturised with almond oil in the beginning. I saw results straight away. ALOT less breaks outs. Then what i started doing is after using the hot cloth to let the oil sink into my pours, i let my face naturally dry and didnt put any oil on after as that was enough for my face. Again the results were even better i havent got any new break outs at all. Now what i have discovered after buying the borage oil supplements is that it is a miracle in a capsule!!! What i do now i peirce the capsule and use the borage oil as a moisturiser after doing the oil clensing routine and OMG, my skin looks amazing!!! Now i only have some white heads on my cheeks to get rid off but no new break outs at all. I love this routine, thank you so much for sharing!

25. Hannah says:

Hi Olivia! I have had experience with the Oil Cleansing Method and it took a little trial and error for me to find an oil that didn’t make my acne turn cystic! It got a LOT worse before it got better and I am still dealing with the scarring. What I have learnt through trialling different oils and months of perseverance though, is that the absolute best oil I have used is Hemp Oil! In the mornings after washing my face with a wet facecloth, I use a small amount of pure, organic hemp oil and in the evenings a small amount of the hemp oil mixed with a small amount of organic Rosehip oil. I have been using this for over a month now and it has left my skin feeling wonderful. My boyfriend tells me weekly that he can’t believe the difference in my skin from the cystic mess it was 6 months ago! Hope this helps anyone who has tried the Oil Cleansing Method with bad results.
    Hannah

26. Kathleen Ryan says:

I am 69 years old, do not have any acne. I am looking for some other way to cleanse my face and then moisturize. I have heard of argon and coconut oils but don’t know how to use them. Can you be of some assistance in this for me? Thank you.

27. Organic Oil Store says:

Whats up! I just want to give an enormous thumbs up for the great information you have got right here on this post. I shall be coming back to your weblog for more soon.

Regards
    Organic Canola Oil

28. Lizzy Bee says:

Discovered your site via Pinterest when I was searching for information regarding oil cleansing. Just wanted to say thank you for the wealth of information and sharing your amazing journey! I have been suffering with a chronic pain condition for over 2 years now. Traditional interventions haven’t helped much, and I feel that modern medicine is geared more towards symptom relief instead of healing/preventing the problem. My New Year’s Resolution for 2015 has been to detoxify and work towards healing my body naturally. I have come across some great sites thanks to Pinterest, yours included! Thank you for being so motivational and inspirational.

29. clare tan says:

hi olivia, can i do this oil cleansing method every night before bed time? and if i do not need to wash my face with soap?

30. clare tan says:

i hope to hear from you. thank u so much for your post

31. Alyssa says:

Hi! I’ve been using the oil cleansing method for a while and using the coconut oil to removed makeup. My skin is so healthy and clear! I used to have super oily skin with random breakouts and acne scars everywhere, now it’s perfectly clear!

My question is actually about water. You mentioned you only drink distilled… I used to be the same until I found out distillation does not remove fluoride. So, in other words, a water bottle can say “No added fluoride” but still contain fluoride (depending on where water is initially sourced from) because they didn’t ADD it but it was already in the water to start with and only purification and reverse osmosis removes fluoride… Thoughts on this?

32. Candice says:

I recently bought and love the Indian oil. I have read though that a lot of Ayurvedic treatments have heavy metals in them and it freaked me out. Do you know if this oil contains any metals in it? πŸ™ Thanks girl!

33. Laina says:

This article has a lot of really good information. I just wanted to add one more thing – rose hip seed oil is also a miracle oil for skin. I put it on every night before bed and wash it off in the morning and my skin has improved after a mere 4 nights. Another trick I use in the morning is putting RAW honey (and I mean the good stuff! don’t be fooled by transparent honey stating it is ‘raw’) on my face in a thin mask, leaving it on for as long as possible then rinsing it in the shower. The raw honey as anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties just like the coconut oil and leaves your skin feeling amazing.

34. Amber says:

Hi! Fantastic post! Like many acne sufferers, I am desperate, so I will certainly try this! I wanted to know if you have any tips/tricks for scaring. Scaring is perhaps a greater concern for me than the acne itself (perhaps I used to the acne). The scaring is just terrible for me and not even mineral makeup can conceal the marks.

35. Wendy Chavez says:

Hi Olivia! Thank you for this great post. I was wondering if you massage the borage oil on your skin or do you ingest it? Thank you again for all that you do!

Best,
    Wendy

• Olivia says:

Hey Wendy! I take the borage oil internally. My acne is gone now but if I ever have a few pop up (or if I ever have inflammation in my joints/swelling/bloating) I take 3 gel caps twice a day.

36. Jennifer says:

I’ve tried washing my face with olive oil for about a week. Rubbing it in, then covering my face with a hot wash cloth. Before use my face was dry in certain places, after trying the oil my face is even more dry with skin pealing all over, especially around my nose. Will this work for dry skin? Do you recommend another routine for dry, flaky skin?

37. Samantha says:

Hi! I kind of have a gross question (hopefully I’m not the only one wondering this) but when I use oils on my face it works great. However the castor oil I guess “pulls” my blemishes to the surface. And I’m wondering, if it’s a white head for example, are you supposed to relieve that or not touch your face and just keep doing oil routine and let it fix itself?

38. Tanya says:

Hi Olivia. πŸ™‚ I was reading that you have had cysts on your face. I have one on my face btwn my chin and cheek and my dermo wants me to get surgery and it will leave a 1 1/2 scar my face. I’m trying to find other alternatives. I am currently using Tamanu Oil. What did you do or use to get rid of the cyst? Thank you πŸ™‚

39. Amy says:

Hi Olivia!
    I just discovered your site and am very happy with all I’m reading. I’ve done a ton of research on my own as well, but love that you condense things down. As you know, info can get so convoluted and jumbled up, sometimes it’s hard to guess which route to take in alternative methods. I went ahead and ordered the oil from India off Amazon, for 7 bucks it can’t hurt! I just wanted to confirm your steps: coconut oil first IF you’re wearing makeup, otherwise that can be skipped? Hot wash cloth to open the pores, massage in Indian oil, hot cloth again then rinse. Do you recommend using the coconut oil again as an astringent of sorts to pick up any residue the other oil may leave behind? If you have foundation on, should you do coconut oil all over prior to using the other oil? And lastly, do you find a salve too heavy as a moisturizer? I’m dealing with a lot in health and my face is definitely suffering for it. Salve has helped stop some peeling and dryness, but now I’m battling bumpy skin and breakouts as the rest of my health gets on track. I just don’t want to clog my pores and use anything that would counteract this suggestion. Thanks!

40. Hail says:

So just wondering, wouldn’t washing face with oil and renmobong make up with oil cause excessive hair growth on face?

41. Rahmie says:

The link to read about probiotics doesn’t work πŸ™

42. HILDA says:

Hi Oliva πŸ™‚ YOUR POST WAS AMAZING! I LOVE IT!! Good to know I’mΓ‘s not the only one doing this. I do almost the sam e. I do use Olive oil. But at the end, I finish washing my face with organic honey. I am also IN LOVE with Detoxing my body. I am rigth now just begining a Intestinal Detox. Is a 28 days Detox, and ritgh after the Intestinal Detox I will start a Hepatic Detox wich includes the Liver and the skin. E-mail me, I will send you some pic of the products. They are the best. hildaceja29@gmail.com or you can also find me on facebook Hilda Ceja NSP πŸ™‚
    I am so Happy to find people with the same interests. Hope ti hear from you πŸ™‚

43. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It if truth be told was a enjoyment account it.
    Look advanced to far introduced agreeable from you! However,
    how could we keep in touch?

44. mc says:

Washing your face with bar soap is the worst thing you could do! Unfortunately my mom was raised old school and I grew up washing my face with bar soap, and it left my face a mess. I ONLY use natural milky face cleansers now that are super gentle. Now I have been obsessed with the Made from Earth Green Tea Cleanser – because it is EXCELLENT at removing foundation.

I am also VERY sensitive around my eyes, and this Made from Earth Cleanser is so gentle when I remove my eye make – my eyes dont water at all. STOP USING BAR SOAP! I cant stress that enough !

45. Juliet says:

I’ve learned so much from you, oil cleansing being one of the best things!! Curious, are you still using this same Indian oil or something else? I would love an update on your skincare routine! Xo.

46. britt says:

Hi Olivia,

Do you make your own distilled water? I’m reading so many different articles on distilled water being the best and the worst. Even one article saying that tap water is best because of the added fluoride! And I just read an article saying bottled distilled water is horrible because of the plastic bottle. I can’t find distilled water bottled in glass anywhere. WHHHYYY do they make it harder for us?!